Monday, October 3, 2011

Twice-Cooked Oats

Everyone loves things that are cooked twice, right?  I mean -- twice baked potatoes anyone??
That extra cooking time seems to make everything taste better (never, ever try twice-cooked popcorn.... hint: burning smells, sparks, charred kernels).

SO, when I stumbled across Chocolate-Covered Katie's double-cooked oatmeal recipe, I had to give it a go... plus, I have been neglecting my favorite food staple recently

Last night, I cooked up the usual bowl of oats:
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1/2 tsp of maple extract
- salt
- sweetener
- cinnamon

And stuck them in the fridge right before I went to bed...
When I woke up - and had a huge cup of coffee - I put the cold and extremely voluminous bowl of oats in the pot, added 1/2 cup of almond milk, some blueberries, cinnamon, and maple extract!  It became super thick and creamy, as the oats just continued to get fluffier :)

Twice-cooked oats with maple, cinnamon, and blueberries!
 


Ahhhhh....
I'm not one for those little packs that only keep you full for like 30 minutes.  If I do use the instant packets, I always beef them up with added almond milk, mix ins, and, yes, more OATS!

Try out this recipe and enjoy the huge serving it yields. MMM!

Andddd the cheesy inspiration for your day's workout:


What limitations?!? 

Catch you after my run/class!

No comments:

Post a Comment