Friday, December 30, 2011

Potato Chip Rock and Island Prime!

WOW... yesterday was full of non-stop fun and on-the-go activities! I hardly had time to catch by breath before moving onto the next adventure... don't you love those days?

It started off with oatmeal (surprise, surprise) and then a fun 10 miler around this new route I've been wanting to try for awhile.  It reminded me of being back in NorCal since the path had a billion hills (gotta love that burn!)

I came home, showered, grabbed some toast, yogurt, cereal and an egg before lacing up my sneaks one more time and meeting up with Sister and friends for a hike!


We headed to Mt. Woodsen trail and proceeded up this 4 mile, never-ending incline to the summit before looping around and heading back down.  Let me tell you, an 8 mile hike after a run is hard.


SO obviously I begged for rest breaks.
It was so gorgeous up there, I don't think anybody minded stopping and taking in the views.


I face planted into a rock at some point...


AND THEN -- at the summit -- we finally found POTATO CHIP ROCK!!
How cool is this?  You had to do a leap of faith from one rock to get onto it... we felt so hardcore.




After a much-needed break/photo op... we basically ran down the mountain in a little over an hour in order to make it home, shower, put on our heels and head out to birthday dinner with the fam.

I told you it was non-stop.

We went to Island Prime, which is the cute restaurant right on the harbor. We had a great view of the bay and of San Diego's skyline, all lit up at night.




HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY BRO -- we actually call him Brotato Chip.... and now my brotato chip is all grown up.  18 years old... wow.



I was obviously starving at this point, so when the complimentary bread rolled out, I almost attacked our server.  UM this wasn't your ordinary "bread"... it was a delicious, doughy pop-over with jalapeno butter... sign me up for seconds, please.


The menu was filled with all sorts of seafood and steak options, so we were all struggling to decide on what to order.  We eventually decided on 3 appetizers (after much debate) -- we went for Escargot in a Puff Pastry and garlic butter sauce. Heaven on earth, I tell ya.  It melts in your mouth!


Mom couldn't handle an escargot after all of her incidences with snails and sluggo -- the snail and slug killer that she uses in the garden.  Yeah, gross.

But that's cool because we also ordered some beer battered onion rings (unpictured) and a Seared Ahi Tuna Tower. It had a layer of lobster salad, avocado, mango salsa, and seared ahi. 


Our appetizers did a great job of holding us over until our entrees arrived.  Of course, being the foodie family that we are, we had to order 4 special sides - family style - so we could sample it all.

The two-pound Twice Baked Potato with Lobster, Bacon and Aged Cheddar Cheese. Yes, you heard me right.. and if you're wondering if it's as good as it sounds... yes, yes it is.


 The Mac and Cheese with Blue Cheese, Bacon, and Carmelized Onions. This was my favorite side dish because you can't go wrong with carbs covered with melty cheese.


Then, we got some veggies :) Prosciutto-wrapped Asparagus.  Simple and delicious.


 Fresh Green Beans with Lemon Brown Butter and Toasted Pecans. I was hoarding this dish!  The green beans were soft and crunchy and coated in butter...


Everyone went separate ways for their entrees.  Some order filets, Sister ordered the grouper, mom ordered the Lamb Chops... I ordered a salad and an appetizer because I couldn't decide.

A Study in Lobster Appetizer: lobster lollipop, lobster-sherry bisque, lobster-fontina grilled cheese. EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS!  I loved the lobster grilled cheese! Especially dipped into the amazing lobster bisque.

I also ordered Organic Mixed Greens salad: sun dried pears, blue cheese, candied walnuts, toy box tomatoes.  Simple. Good. It was a salad...


The real stars were the desserts -

Retro Island Mud Pie: mountains of coffee ice cream over a chocolate ganache, homemade fudge


Amaretto Cheesecake: a vanilla cheesecake topped with bruléed bananas, spiced almond brittle & a shot of amaretto

Pineapple Upside Down Cake: covered in a pool of rum-caramel sun dried cherry sauce, topped with cardamom ice cream

Potted Brownie Banana Split: homemade peanut butter ice cream over a warm brownie with butterscotch fudge & bruléed bananas

Um.  WOW!!!
My stomach is still full - that's a first, huh?

I'd say it was a crazy day.  I would say I'm going to spend the weekend relaxing and recovering but no we're heading to LA today!  New Years Eve in Disneyland?!?!?

I'll be sure to fill you in later!

No comments:

Post a Comment