Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Seared Turkey Breast with Mushroom and Green Chili Gravy

I am so excited to share this simple, delicious, easy-to-make recipe with you guys!
I wish it photographed a little bit better because it tasted like a million bucks... but really


Seared Turkey Breast with Mushroom and Green Chili Gravy



Ingredients
- 2 turkey breasts (or chicken - you can probably use meat substitutions with this too)
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 1 small can of diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp of Wondra flour/thickener
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- salt, pepper, garlic salt to taste

To prepare:
- Start by coating your turkey breast with garlic salt and pepper and pan frying them in non-stick cooking spray.  These are thin and relatively small so they cook up fast!
- Too the pan, add in your onions and your chopped mushrooms and continue sautéing until browned.
- Add in your diced green chilies and your chicken broth and simmer for about 4-5 minutes before adding the tbsp of Wondra and any additional salt and pepper. SUPER EASY!


For dinner, I served my turkey and gravy atop a bed of tri-colored quinoa cooked in chicken broth, a side of roasted brussel sprouts and roasted sweet potato chips -- best meal I've had in awhile!!


I roasted up a bunch of veggies and cooked a full pot of quinoa to have throughout the week. This is part of my brilliant strategy to fuel my body right... and stop eating bars of chocolate.

Back on Track Plan:
Confession time: I've been a complete pig recently.  Which I justify because I run more than the average Joe... but it's taking a toll on my body.  I can feel myself getting slower and crapping more than usual on my runs -- I'm telling you, chocolate, chips, and diet soda are NOT good fuel.

Normally I eat pretty healthily, mostly because I love healthy foods, but this weekend was a complete mess.  Filled with some wine here and there, tons of sweets, and tons of chips (which have zero nutritional value...) -- my body hates me.

So, to get back on track, I've been drinking tons of water to flush out all the sodium (critical since I'm bloated as all get out), I cooked up a bunch of healthy leftovers for the week, I've been running like usual, I've been trying to catch up on sleep (underrated but so necessary) and I've been listening to my body - stretching and doing some core work on top of cardio.

Workout:
Yesterday (Monday), I had a shift at the gym before class so my workout had to wait until the late afternoon (after my 2 hour nap... wow).  I ran an easy 8 miles, shaking out my legs and assessing how they were feeling post 20 miles on Saturday.  All is well :)

Other eats from the day:
Bowl of oats topped with maple syrup, bananas, blueberries and chopped pecans!
I always add almond milk post-picture... it's a strange habit of mine.  I also add almond milk to my yogurt bowls AND my ice cream.... start judging, it's okay.

Oh hey foot-long Veggie Delight with Melted Pepperjack Cheese.... I love you.
I hate it when they assume you want a 6 inch and I'm like "Please, I could eat a 6 inch for a light snack... load up the 12 incher" -- I also had a chocolate caramel brownie Luna bar for dessert.

My snacks for the day and my dessert AND my 2:30-3 am snack consisted of Trader Joe cookies and Honey Whole Wheat pretzels dipped in crunchy peanut butter... I thought my roommate was going to strangle me because I was literally in bed munching away in the middle of the night.

I don't know if anybody else finds it hilarious that I sleep walk to get my tubs (plural) of cookies and my jar of PB and get back into bed and eat.... I find it disturbing, but delicious.  And very necessary. 

Alright, folks, I hope your Tuesday is off to a great start!!
I'm excited for class + work today (I have some extremely attractive individuals in my lectures... and that includes my 90 year old professor) 

Off to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment